Arda Turan’s transfer to Barcelona from Atletico Madrid earlier this summer is the 5th highest overpaid transfer according to the CIES Football Observatory.
Barcelona overpaid by more than €15 million according to the report. The study has calculated the estimated worth of footballers and compared it with their actual transfer value.
The CIES estimate the value of the player by looking at his age, playing position, contract situation, international status, experience, performance and the level of competition the individual plays at.
Biggest amounts overpaid by clubs
- Anthony Martial (Man United) £20.3m
- Kevin de Bruyne (Man City) £19.4m
- Christian Benteke Liverpool £14.3m
- Angel Di Maria (PSG) £11.1m
- Arda Turan (Barcelona) £11m
- Nicolas Otamendi (Man City) £9.9m
- Alessio Romagnoli (AC Milan) £8.9m
- Aymen Abdennour (Valencia) £8.8m
- Petr Cech (Arsenal) £8.3m
- Ivan Perisic (Inter Milan) £7.9m
- Morgan Schneiderlin (Man United) £7.4m
- Adama Traore (Aston Villa) £7m
- James Chester (West Brom) £6.3m
- Paulo Dybala (Juventus) £6.1m
- Julian Draxler (Wolfsburg) £5.7m
- Jordan Amavi (Aston Villa) £5.2m
- Roberto Soldado (Villarreal) £5.1m
- Robert Brady (Norwich) £4.8m
- Geoffrey Kondogbia (Inter Milan) £4.7m
- Yohan Cabaye (Crystal Palace) £4.6m