Man Utd & Arsenal target Gundogan confirms he turned down 'lucrative offers' to remain in Germany

Ilkay Gundogan has stated that he turned down ‘lucrative offers’ in order to remain at Borussia Dortmund.

The 24-year-old was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United last month while Arsenal also expressed an interest in the Germany international.

However, Gündoğan opted to sign a contract extension until 2016 despite initially wanting a move away from the Bundesliga club.

Booking.com

The 24-year-old previously turned down a contract offer from Dortmund but changed his mind regarding his future following discussions with their newly appointed manager Thomas Tuchel.

“I had lucrative offers that BVB knew of and I deliberately turned them down to stay.” Gündoğan was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.

Gündoğan’s name was met with jeers by some Dortmund fans during a charity game on Saturday.

The deep-lying-playmaker said that he understand the frustration felt from supporters.

“I believe that if I perform well and become a better player I can convince a lot of people, in particular the ones who are upset now,” The 24-year-old told Bild.

“I can even understand why fans are whistling me now. The situation was painted wrongly to the public.

“But the club and myself know the truth. Both sides always confirmed that we treated each other honestly and fairly.”

Gündoğan, who is currently touring Japan with the Dortmund squad wrapped up the season with five assists and three goals in 33 appearances in all competitions.

SHARE