Arda Güler was injured for a third time in training mid week and will be ruled out for another month. The latest developments comes just days after he was expected to make his debut.
Despite Güler suffering his third injury since joining Real Madrid in the summer, manager Carlo Ancelotti has insisted that he is not worried about the teenager’s long-term future at the club.
“The first one was a rupture of the meniscus,” Ancelotti said. “He had surgery. Often that changes your posture a bit, you play more with the other foot, and during your recovery from the meniscus you can have muscular problems. That’s what has happened to Güler. His future is so bright.
“I have personal experience, when I was 21 I stopped [playing] for two years, and I came back. His future isn’t in doubt. It’s just a moment. Let’s hope he can come back after the break.”
Real Madrid paid €20 million to sign Güler from Fenerbahçe in July, beating Barcelona to his signature. However, the Turkish international has yet to make his debut for the club.
Ancelotti confirmed in a news conference that Güler had suffered another muscular injury, despite being an unused substitute in Real Madrid’s 3-0 Champions League win over Braga on Wednesday.
“Unfortunately it happened before the Braga game,” Ancelotti said. “It didn’t seem like much, but it’s been bothering him since. It isn’t serious. Obviously the player is depressed, because he’s young and wants to contribute. It’s a small step backwards, it isn’t a relapse. He has the international break to recover.”
Güler had previously undergone surgery for a meniscus injury in his right knee in August and then suffered a thigh problem in September, just as he had been cleared to return to action.
The midfielder will not play for Real now until at least until after the international break.