Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has until tonight to decide the fate of midfielder Lucas Leiva according to Galatasaray sporting director Levent Nazifoglu.
Nazifoglu was quoted as saying: “We have asked for a response regarding Lucas Leiva by tonight. If we don’t receive one, we’ll pursue alternative players..”
Speaking at Eren Derdiyok’s signing ceremony on Saturday Nazifoglu confirmed that an agreement had been reached with the Reds and that Klopp had until Monday to make up his mind.
“We have agreed terms with Liverpool on all fronts, there is some concern regarding Lucas’ injury but all that remains now is for Klopp to make his decision,” Nazifoglu said.
“If it goes ahead it will happen on Monday otherwise we will have to look elsewhere.”
The Echo report that the transfer has been delayed because Klopp wants assurances that defensive cover will be brought in should Lucas leave.
Liverpool are facing of a defensive crisis with Mamadou Sakho, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip all out injured. To make matters worse Martin Skrtel recently joined Fenerbahce and Kolo Toure parted ways with the club over the summer.
Lucas ia a midfielder however, he has filled in as a centre-back in the past and does offer much needed defensive cover.
If Lucas were to stay it would be a near identical scenario to last season when he was on the verge of joining Besiktas until Brendan Rodgers vetoed the move following injuries to a number of key midfield and defensive players.